Friday, April 20, 2012

A Special Blanket

In January I finished a blanket I had been working on for a few months.  This blanket is very special to me since it was inspired by a blanket my Mom had made for my Dad way back when they were dating... a long time ago!
(They have been married for over 41 years now.)  
A picture of my blanket...

and a picture of her blanket.

Her blanket was also crocheted in the zig-zag pattern like mine, but she used yellows, tans, and browns.  I remember my siblings and I loved to cuddle up with her blanket when we were younger.  If you look closely, you can see how well loved this blanket is as it now has many tears and holes.  My brother said he remembered seeing a picture of him, as a newborn, laying on it.  I also remember cuddling up in it with my sisters while we watched TV as young children.  It was definitely my favorite blanket to wrap up in!

I had no idea at the time that my Mom had crocheted it herself while she and my Dad were dating.  This makes the blanket such a special treasure.

Here's a closer look at my blanket to show the texture.  Not only is it in a zig-zag pattern, it also has a ribbed effect - every other row is raised.

Here's a close up of my Mom's blanket.  You can see she was much more symmetrical than I was with the colors.  She used a different color for each row.

I love this blanket for many reasons, but it's especially close to my heart because of the inspiration behind it.  I hope this blanket will give our family many wonderful memories through the years just like my Mom's blanket has given for me and my siblings.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that mom made that for dad while they were dating. Cool! Very neat. You are talented, Julie!

    ReplyDelete