Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fun Times in Indiana

On Friday, June 10th, we headed out for our 12 hour road trip to Indiana.  The munchkins are very good road travelers.  We have taken this trip many times since they were babies, so they are used to being in the car all day long to go to Indiana.
Here they are getting very sleepy after lunch...  Going, going...
 Gone!
 Thank goodness we brought their pillow pets!
When we arrived, we stayed at my mom and dad's house.  They live on a 'lake' in a subdivision.  Grandpa Herman loves to fish, so he enjoyed helping the munchkins try to catch a big one.
 Sweet memories with Grandpa were made...
They did catch one, but the munchkins were too afraid to touch it.  So, I got a picture of it and Grandpa threw the fish back into the lake.
 Another fun thing to do at Grandma and Grandpa's is to go on a paddle boat ride!  
Here they are all ready to go on the boat, complete with their sunglasses and life jackets...
 and there they go!
The munchkins also enjoyed spending time with their cousins that they don't get to see very often.  Here they are with one of their cousins, Addie. 
 Here's a picture of me with my older sister, Debbie.
I just love catching up with her.  I so wish she and my other sister, Laura, lived closer so we could have more 'sister time.'  Debbie lives in Indiana and Laura lives in Minnesota.  Laura wasn't able to come to Indiana this time, but we look forward to seeing her and her family in November hopefully!
 My parents also have a 'well' right next to their patio outside where this bullfrog (sitting on the lilly pad in the center of the pic) lives.  We could hear him in the evenings and into the night.  I'm so glad I was able to get a picture of this noisemaker.
After Grandma Jean knew we were in Indiana, (she didn't know until after her surprise party on Saturday), we wanted to spend a night at her house, too.  So, on Monday we headed over to her place which is only about 10-15 minutes away from my parents' house, to spend the night.  She made a wonderful dinner of homemade mashed potatoes, beef and noodles, corn, and salad for us.  Delicious!

For dessert, we went to Dairy Queen for ice cream, but not just any Dairy Queen! We visited the one that Grandma Jean and I used to work at way back in the day.  She and I worked there together about 20 years ago, when I was in high school and before I had even met my husband, Jon!  We had a great time enjoying our yummy treats with Grandma Jean! 
Here's a picture to show how flat it is in Indiana.  Lots of fields and open land.  In the words of our sweet girl, 'This is the flattest place on earth!'
Our trip to Indiana was short and busy, but we were so thankful to have the opportunity to see our families.  Overall, it was a great visit to the Hoosier state!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post to read, Julie! It's nice to have a little snapshot of what you did while you were visiting the "flat lands". :) It was great to get to see you. I can't imagine how surprised I must have looked when you showed up at the front door. But what a NICE surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete